Wednesday, 7 September 2011

The Motorcycle Diaries

I have just begun a very interesting journey, and I already feel like preserving the words of Che in a book of my own. I have 'borrowed' (read 'flicked') my cousin's book, and am giving it a read. I find it very amazing, for this has been something I have always wanted to do. Unfortunately, I do not have an old motorbike (nor the ability to ride it), and neither do I have the guts to take off with my friend across the country (tempting though it sounds to both of us). So here I am, desiring to put up a few quotations from the book The Motorcycle Diaries:

1. "This is not a story of incredible heroism, or merely the narrative of a cynic; at least I do not mean it to be. It is a glimpse of two lives that ran parallel for a time, with similar hopes and convergent dreams."

This is how the book opens. I feel it takes off on such an unconditional note. There is nothing that asks of the reader to stay true to a path, a goal or a vision. It, instead, talks of the freedom to diverge, to let go and fly.

2. "The full moon is silhouetted against the sea, smothering the waves with silver reflections. Sitting on a dune we watch the continuous ebb and flow, each with our distinct thoughts. For me. the sea has always been a confidant, a friend absorbing all it is told and never revealing those secrets; always giving the best advice- whose meaningful noises can be interpreted any way you choose."

This description of the sea is akin to my belief in the waters. Despite the people around, one finds a comfort and solace that the sea gives. Come to think of it, though I have never thought of myself as attached to the sea, I do keep going back just to listen to the wisdom in the waves. I also find poetry in these lines- "each with our distinct thoughts".

3. I here quote a poem that Che lifts from Miguel Otero Silva:
"I heard splashing on the boat
her bare feet
And sensed in our faces
the hungry dusk
My heart swaying between her
and the street, the road
I don't know where I found the strength
to free myself from her eyes
to slip from her arms
She stayed, crying through the rain and glass
clouded with grief and tears
She stayed, unable to cry
Wait! I will come
walking with you."

The emotion that lies in the indecisiveness between lady love and the road is so intense. It catches you, makes you pause, and wonder why you are not going on a wander-lust.

4. "I know now, by an almost fatalistic conformity with the facts, that my destiny is to travel..."

This line, I like just for its meaning and the way it has been phrased...

This is about all that I have read, and I do hope that if you haven't yet begun on this extra-ordinary journey, this little gist inspires you to begin...

No comments: