Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Of Kittens and Puppies

     Well, this is the season of proliferation, I guess. This campus seems to have become densely populated. Well, exaggeration, obviously. But the ladies' hostel has a bunch of puppies trundling about outside the gates with their mother keeping a close watch over them. One white, two mixed coloured and one black pup. They are, needless to say, terribly cute. I have taken an especial liking toward the black one. Now, I do not know what absurd names my hostel-mates have decided to keep for them. To me they are nameless. So, this black puppy is the adventurer of the group. He loves jumping up at people and nibbling at them to find out their mettle. He is also the one in the group who will go off on small, exciting trips (no doubt) around the ladies' hostel gate. My friend tells me that while she was petting the little thing, he decided to grab hold of her finger, and she just picked him up by his tail. He was hanging in mid-air for a while before he realised he was air-borne and quickly let go of her. The other three pups are quite cute as well (though I am most definitely biased). It is always nice to see the women in our hostel give them milk and other titbits of food. During holi, they were in danger of being harmed by the chemical water and colours, so some really thoughtful girls took them back to their rooms, and let them out when the fun was over. Really sweet of them. It never occurred to me.
     Apart from this, my friend has adopted a stray kitten. She is really cute (though I probably seem to be repetitive here, there are no other words that can express the level of cuteness of these little creatures). She named her kitten Maya, after a character in a Samit Basu book, which she rather sheepishly acknowledged she was reading at the time. Well, apparently she chose a nice name, because Maya in Khasi, someone said, means love. Though that little fur-ball is a mass of energy and enthusiasm, clawing and nibbling at everything she gets, she is quite well-tutored. She is one lovely kitten and reminds me a lot of the little kitten I once adopted along with a few friends of mine. We had named him Simba. He was a gorgeous white kitten, and I am sure I have written up something about him somewhere in this blog. (Miss you sorely, Simba. Hope you are all right).
     The hostel in which my friend stays also has a fast-growing-into-a-dog puppy. He (at least I think he is a 'he') is quite black and apparently quite naughty as well. I haven't met him much, but my friends call him Muffy (or muffin, I'm not too sure which), and he looks nothing like either name. He has managed to survive though and is a nuisance, or so I hear, since he uproots the dustbins over there.
     So that is the scene. What with puppies and kittens, this place is glowing with energy and the beauty of new life. It is quite awesome, actually... For those who like animals anyway!

No comments: