Monday, 8 November 2010

Gypsy Dance

Dum...dum...dum...dum...
Drum beats to a thundering heart.
Something in the brain's synapses
Click.
A pair of feet- restless, energetic- start.
Anklets, singing to a rhythmic beat,
Clink.
Two eyes, lost in a gypsy-like mystique, dart
Across the green, and grey and
The dark.
Two bangled hands, a magical terrain, chart
Flowing, fluid landscapes of
The mind.
The body sways in a creation of art
As it is lost in the earthy drum beats
Of the night.
Dum...dum...dum...dum...
Dum...dhadam....dum....
Not here, but somewhere else am I.
Not me, but someone else am I.
Not now, but forever am I.
The music is the life beat
Of my entire being.


Written on 24/09/2010 (Posting it got a little delayed.)
PS: This poem was written after an exhilarating experience. It was during the 2010 onam celebrations in campus, where a multitude of performances were played. The last one was a gorgeous interplay of the drums and acoustic guitars. Though the actual performance went on only for a few minutes, those people who were performing chose to spread the music even after the program, while people were queuing up for dinner. So, my feet began to automatically jingle and jangle to the 'earthy drum beats' (there is no other way in which I can think of describing it). And I was wearing the onam saree, too. But I couldn't stop myself. So, I danced what I know best- bharathnatyam to the drums. It was an amazing experience- spectacular, rather (all puns intended)

4 comments:

indi said...

I like how you have periods after click, clink, the dark and the mind. Allowed me to let the thoughts sink in. And I love the line "not now, forever am I"

Sayujya said...

Hahaha... thanks. This has a background to it... actually, wait, I'll add it to the post itself.

indi said...

Wow! :) Haha. Saree bit is funny.

Sayujya said...

yeah. I know. A lot of it seems funny on retrospect, but at that point in time, it was so much fun!