Thursday, 6 May 2010

The scribble pad!

1. The British Council Library (B C L)- This place is not what it was any more. It has changed drastically, and I do not like it. I guess I am an oldie, and prefer the quiet white walls and the umbrella stand to the dashing pink that has shaded the walls these few years. And now that comfortable peace and solitude found there seems to have gone. This is probably a good thing for the library itself, since it now seems to be a commercial space. However, for those of us who seek peace in a library miss the old feel of things. The library, now, does not have a reading zone (including couches, sofas etc.) and the books are arranged more, well, commercially (for lack of a better word).
Now, I know that I am a person who sits at places like canteens and chai shops to study, but when I enter BCL I expected to be reading in silence, and somehow the noise overthrew me! Anyway, I just don't like the changes that are happening there.

2. Why is it that women in Hyderabad have more children than those in Chennai? I do not know if anybody has noticed this significant difference between the two cities. (Mind you, I am just stating a fact.) I have seen this especially when I travel by the buses in both places. The buses in Hyderabad are teeming with children below the age of ten while Chennai buses are comparatively child-free (underline 'comparatively').
Also, the Hyderabad people aren't as polite (at least in the buses, that is) as those in Chennai. The number of women offering to hold your bag, or sometimes give an old woman a seat is, I feel, rarer in the former.
Of course, these are only personal observations, and nothing is statistical!

3. I went to Tiruvannamalai  and I saw a monkey carrying her dead child across the road. It was a sad sight. The kid was being carried by the tail. It was so small and beautiful. The mother did not look too upset (of course, since I do not know monkey language I cannot be too sure). So it got me wondering about their life and language and ours. The mother was so practical and matter-of-fact (again, human interpretations of the animal world) and I couldn't imagine that of us humans. But it was terribly sad.

4. During the above-said trip to Tiruvannamalai, I went on a walk around the hill (girivalam or giripradakshanam) and I noticed a significant change in the roads. A few years earlier, the roads were mud roads and the stones would sometimes prick your feet. So one would assume that a tar road is better and would provide the solace that your feet need. However, we (my family) found that this is not so. The tar actually gets small pieces of stone stuck in your foot too. And worse, it gets hot sometimes (which, fortunately we did not have to experience), and the sand is actually soft and comfortable, as one would know if they have walked along the beach, even if this is a slightly milder version of that.

5. I went to a crocodile farm that had loads of crocodiles that weren't being properly taken care of. It wasn't good to watch them crawl along the floor with very little water to go to in the midst of this summer. This place was called Sattanoor dam. The place was beautiful in itself, with a few parks, a swimming pool, a pond on which pedal-boating was available and so on and so forth. However, owing to the cheap entry fee, the place isn't all that well kept, especially the crocodile farm, where many crocodiles were injured (and I cannot be sure as to whether it was owing to crocodile fights, which I am guessing is the cause) and the water was practically over.

6. I drank panneer soda for the first time in my life and liked it.

2 comments:

Daddy's gal... Bharu said...

1. Almost everything every where is commercial nowadays. No longer do people do stuff just because they enjoy them.
2. I feel we tamilians are more flexible and polite and humane than in other regions of the country, my personal observation from what I have heard from people.
3. Animals have that odd practicality and sense of survival above everything else. It is we humans who complicate things. Forest life is simple!
4. In an attempt to 'modernise' everything and apparently for our 'comfort' people end up doing sense-less things and no one can do anything to stop that right?!
5. If there is any section where you can comment or give in your suggestions, you can probably try to better the living conditions of the crocodiles there.
6. I love paneer soda too. Nice refreshing drink.

欣穎啟佐 said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................