Tuesday, 11 May 2010

The Keep-in-Touch Syndrome

Today is the world of the cell phone, as we all know. Even little kids have easy access to the cell phone. They are cell phone-savvy, and if they do not have their own phones, they tend to use that of their parents, to play games, even make calls. This ought not to come as a surprise, and yet it hits you with a jolt. This comes with teens and barely-teens asking parents to buy them cell phones so as to talk with friends whom they daily meet at school, and with whom they chat with on facebook, or gmail.

Then, I began to think about what it is that I do. Do I also, always keep in touch, or want to? And is it an addiction? My friend and I agree that facebook is an addiction. When I am home for my holidays, and when the facility of 24x7 internet access is possible, I tend to want to go to facebook all the time. And when I am there it isn't like I do anything productive at all. And when I do not meet my friends everyday I want to know where they are and what they are doing. It is the keep-in-touch syndrome.

Somebody said 'knowledge is power'. I have heard that too often in the past. But somehow, I feel, this kind of knowledge- of where a person is, what that person wants and so on and so forth, is a negative knowledge. It distracts you and gets you impatient. I try my best not to let the cell phone intervene when I am with friends. Of course, I do not have too many people who contact me, unlike a lot of publicly involved persons (and by that I do not mean politically involved- they are two completely different things) that I know. Those people, especially, cannot live without their cell phones. They cannot stay two minutes without knowing what message they got, and can absolutely not survive if there is no range. The response to 'Why do you need to always be on your phone?' is 'What if something happens?' or 'Someone important might call.' So I got to thinking if the cell phone is so vital. Is it an essential need in my life; in our lives? Maybe it is. But then again, maybe we can manage to stay without it.

There is this man I respect a lot, who sold his cell phone for no reason at all- well, because he didn't want the thing! And I really want to be able to do that. But then, I think of my mother and father waiting to talk to me, and my heart goes 'thump-thump... how can you do that to them?' and possessively keeps the phone to itself. And plus, there are the multitudes of friends who I need to keep in touch with, when I need them as well as when I think of them. So, maybe I am not going to be able to get out of the 'keep-in-touch' syndrome. But I very badly want to.

4 comments:

Sayujya said...

P.S. this was prompted by a blog I read, as well as few conversations with friends and family. Not that they were discussions. Some have been arguments. And I am anti-cell phone, even though I use it, which is an irony in itself.

啟佐 said...

你的部落格很棒,我期待更新喔........................................

Susan Deborah said...

Ironies and paradoxes maketh life, Sayujya.

:)

Joy and peace,
Susan

indi said...

It's a want more than a need. Yes. There are days when I realize what a sucker I am to the phone. We are born hypocrites. Sigh.

Need I mention how I love your style of writing? I don't want to cos it might not seem genuine. Btu I never get tired of the way you write. Cheers!