Sunday, 24 May 2009

something, nothing/somewhere, nowhere

I am sitting in Kolkata as this gets blogged in, and I am just back from the 'garden of peace', Shantiniketan. It is an amazing place. A township in itself, I saw the variety of shops that sell cotton kurtis and jolna pais (cloth/jute bags) and gypsy beads and gypsy earrings. And the atmosphere was lovely. Today was a day for the rains and we were fortunate to miss the scorching sun. The place was alive with the greenery of the trees and the little rain drops drenched the earth with the aroma of life. I repeat, it was amazing!
The buildings were (yes, my friend called it quaint, but i choose to call them-) ancient. I like ancient, for some reason. I think I ought to have been born in a different era! However, back to the topic, the buildings were a paint-peeling-off cream, with moss all over- a nice antiquey look. And the skies were gray with the colour of an impending downpour.
The people were not too bad, and the place was humungous, but it was beautiful. I might not have accomplished much, but it gave me a sense of belonging. People have thought me as Bengali. Maybe I am?! At heart!
We lunched at Shantiniketan itself. And on our way back, we stopped at a sweet shop and bought some roshogollas and some mishti doi and later had some tea. And the thing is, with your tea and your mishti doi, you get a good supply of matkas that are worth taking home, and painting and keeping your room bright and beautiful. It was an amazing trip. And on our way back the downpour began and didn't stop for quite some time. The fields of green and the skies of blue-gray. It was a pleasant three-hour journey back.
Sometimes, you begin to think, why have we lost that life of leisure and why have we plunged into this frenzy of technology? What happened to all things bright and beautiful? It is not worth it to lose that. Never. Olden days of non-cell-phones and non-laptops. Once, just once, I'd like to be there. And this seems to be that 'there'.
In every dream, there is a reason, and in every reasoning there is a certain madness I suppose.

No comments: